Social Security Administration

Check with the Social Security Administration to avoid possible IRS tax problems. Your Social Security Number MUST match up with your new name. 

  • All you need is a new SS-5 Form, easily obtained from your local Social Security Office.
  • Names matched to Social Security Numbers are necessary to correctly and efficiently process your tax returns.
  • To change your Social Security number by mail, call 1-800-772-1213 (From 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.)

Drivers License

Your primary form of identification, your driver’s license is the document to update next. You’ll have to go to the nearest DMV with your certified marriage certificate, your old license, and to be safe, any other ID you have available. While you’re there, have your car title and registration changed as well. 


If you have a current Passport, please fill out the Passport Amendment/ Validation Application (form DS-19) and send it to your nearest passport agency along with certified documentation of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce degree with your new name) and your current, valid passport. Your documentation will be returned to you with your amended passport. **

Voter Registration

Call your local registrar of voters and have them send you a name-change form. Be sure to ask what proof of ID is required, as this varies from state to state.

Amend Your Name

To amend your name in everybody else’s database i.e. the bank, employment/payroll, insurance policies, hospitals, subscriptions, credit cards, phone company, and other utilities, post office, property records, creditors, and organizations of which you’re a member-type up a letter with the respective proper information on it (your name, account number of any other reference they’ll need address and new name) and include a copy of your marriage license.